With a population surpassing 650,000, Portland’s lively and eclectic city is ripe for business growth and innovation. Brands that collaborate with a Portland marketing firm such as AdvertiseMint are poised to ensure their message resonates deeply with the perfect demographic, right when it matters the most.
Best ways to advertise in Portland
Portland is a vibrant city, and your business will need a marketing strategy to break through the noise. Portland residents are bombarded with daily social media ads, search ads, billboards, TV ads, and radio ads. It’s essential that your advertising dollars are being spent efficiently. Here are some of the most popular Portland advertising options for businesses.
Portland Paid Social Advertising
Paid social allows Portland businesses to reach consumers directly in their area. This is done by geo-targeted ads targeting a specific zip code or a one-mile radius around a single point. Advertisers can also target aspects like interests, behaviors, or custom audiences of their customers, prospects, or visitors. You can learn more about each of the following types of advertising below:
- Facebook Ads
- Instagram Ads
- TikTok Ads
- Snapchat Ads
- LinkedIn Ads
- YouTube Ads
- Pinterest Ads
- Twitter / X Ads
Portland Paid Search Advertising
Paid search allows Portland businesses to reach consumers searching for their products or services on Google or Bing within a specific geographic area. These ads allow your business to appear on top of Google searches or Google Maps. This ensures customers find your business first before they find your competitors.
Portland Local Advertising
There are countless options for reaching consumers located in the Portland area. Each advertising option brings opportunities, challenges, and the need to monitor for a positive return on ad spend for the business. If you want to help to grow your business with local Portland ads, please contact Advertisemint. You can learn more about local Portland advertising options here:
- Yelp Ads
- Nextdoor Ads
- iHeartRadio Ads
- Spotify Ads
- Pandora Ads
- Local Cable Ads
- Billboard Advertising
- Portland Metro Advertising
- Direct Mail
“Portland is a city that’s easy to fall in love with.” – Sarah Vowell, author and actress
How to Advertise with Portland Sport Teams
Portland is a city that pulses with athletic vigor, where the passion for sports isn’t just an interest, but a way of life. The roar from the stadiums, be it for basketball or soccer, underscores a citywide camaraderie like no other. Entrepreneurs take heed: Engaging with Portland’s sports enthusiasts means tapping into a community that breathes unity and spirit. Collaborate with sports giants like the Portland Thunder, Portland Rivers FC, or the Portland Guardians through AdvertiseMint, Portland’s premier sports advertising agency.
- Portland Trail Blazers (NBA) – The Trail Blazers are Portland’s pride in the NBA, bringing basketball excitement to the city since 1970. With fervent fans and a rich history, they’re a fixture of the Portland sports scene. They clinched the NBA Championship title in 1977.
Trail Blazers on Instagram | Trail Blazers on YouTube | Trail Blazers on TikTok
- Portland Timbers (MLS) – Representing Portland in Major League Soccer, the Timbers have cultivated a passionate fan base since their establishment in 2009. Their games at Providence Park are a blend of energy and devotion. The Timbers secured the MLS Cup in 2015.
Timbers on Instagram | Timbers on YouTube
- Portland Thorns FC (NWSL)– As part of the National Women’s Soccer League, the Thorns FC have been trailblazers for women’s soccer in the U.S. They boast not only skilled players but also some of the league’s most dedicated supporters. The Thorns have clinched the NWSL Championship title four times.
Thorns FC on Instagram | Thorns FC on Youtube | Thorns FC on TikTok
- Portland Winterhawks -The Winterhawks, a junior ice hockey team, have won the WHL championship 17 times, including in 2018.
Portland Winterhawks on Instagram | Portland Winterhawks on YouTube
How to Advertise to Portland Universities, Colleges & Schools
If your business has customers between 13 and 30, you should look at advertising options for Portland students. This youth-focused segment is rapidly changing regarding which social media platforms they use, how they access information, and the technology they utilize daily. Generally, a mobile-first demo, reaching a demo requires a fluid strategy with both content and ads that resonate with the audience. If you want to advertise to students in the Portland area, please contact Advertisemint to discuss the best advertising and marketing options for higher education. The following are some of the most popular schools in Portland:
- Portland State University (PSU) – PSU is a public research university in downtown Portland with over 200 degree programs. It is known for its sustainable initiatives and community engagement.
PSU on Instagram | PSU on YouTube
- University of Portland (UP) – A private Catholic university overlooking the Willamette River, UP is celebrated for its robust nursing, business, and engineering programs. The institution’s commitment to faith and service anchors its educational approach.
UP on Instagram | UP on YouTube
- Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) – OHSU is a distinguished health and research university with its hospital and clinics. As Oregon’s only academic health center, it plays a crucial role in healthcare innovation, education, and research.
OHSU on YouTube
- Portland Community College(PCC ) – PCC is the largest community college in Oregon, offering a wide range of associate degrees, certificate programs, and adult education courses. With multiple campuses around the Portland area, it serves as a critical entry point for students seeking higher education or vocational skills.
PCC on Instagram | PCC on YouTube
- Warner Pacific University – A Christian liberal arts college located in Southeast Portland, Warner Pacific offers a range of undergraduate and graduate degrees. The college is known for its commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive learning environment.
Warner Pacific University on Instagram | Warner Pacific University on YouTube | Warner Pacific University on TikTok
- Pacific Northwest College of Art (PNCA) – PNCA is a private art college with over 1,000 students. It is known for its strong programs in graphic design, illustration, and animation.
PNCA on Instagram | PNCA on YouTube
Portland High Schools
- Lincoln High School – Situated in the Goose Hollow neighborhood, Lincoln is one of the oldest high schools in the city. It’s recognized for its strong academic programs, diverse student population, and emphasis on community involvement.
Lincoln High School on Instagram
- Grant High School – Located in the Hollywood District, Grant High School offers a comprehensive educational experience, boasting robust sports programs, performing arts, and an array of advanced placement courses.
- Cleveland High School – Serving the Southeast Portland community, Cleveland High emphasizes academic excellence alongside a rich tradition in sports and arts. It’s known for fostering an environment of collaboration and student engagement.
Cleveland High School on Instagram
How to advertise on Portland metro and public transportation?
Portland is a city with a diverse transportation network, including buses, light rail, streetcars, bike lanes, and ridesharing services. The Portland Bureau of Transportation reports a substantial daily ridership, making Portland an attractive location for unique advertising opportunities tailored to reach a wide audience of commuters. If you are interested in launching an advertising campaign on Portland’s public transportation system, including TriMet bus advertising, MAX light rail advertising, Portland Streetcar advertising, or any other form of transportation advertising in the Portland metropolitan area, the AdvertiseMint team is eager to discuss strategies to enhance your business through transportation-focused ads in the Portland region.
How to advertise on the radio in Portland?
Portland is a city with a diverse range of radio stations, including KINK FM, 94.7 The Bridge, XRAY.FM, KBOO, and OPB. hese stations provide Portlanders with an array of news, insightful talk shows, and diverse musical genres, becoming soundtracks to their daily routines and activities. Engaging in radio advertising within Portland is an unparalleled avenue for businesses to resonate with locals in an intimate listening space. By handpicking specific stations, choosing distinct music genres, and optimizing playtimes, advertisers can finetune their campaigns to best engage their target demographics. Additionally, the digital age brings forth advertising potentials on platforms such as Spotify and iHeartRadio, facilitating refined targeting using metrics like geolocation, musical inclination, user interests, and DMAs. If Portland’s radio landscape sounds like the next step for your promotional needs, the AdvertiseMint is ready to guide you in devising and deploying an impactful radio ad campaign, ensuring your messaging reverberates harmoniously with your intended audience and delivers on your business objectives.
How much does billboard advertising cost in Portland?
From the bustling streets of Burnside Street, MLK Jr. Boulevard, and Naito Parkway to major thoroughfares like the I-84, I-205, US 26, or I-405, Portland’s skyline is punctuated by the dominant visage of billboards. Key advertising real estate is managed by leading networks like Lamar, Clear Channel, and OutFront Media. In Portland, billboard costs can hover between $1,500 and $18,000 monthly, influenced by factors like location visibility and traffic density. Recognizing the need for affordability, many of these advertising giants offer remnant advertising solutions, presenting discounted rates that hinge on the flexibility regarding billboard positioning and display duration. If you’re contemplating broadening your brand’s presence through billboard advertising within the vibrant confines of Portland, the adept AdvertiseMint crew is at your beck and call. They’re poised to draft a robust strategy, zero in on pivotal advertising spots, and guarantee that your campaigns take flight seamlessly, culminating in tangible business gains.
What are the most popular restaurants in Portland?
Portland boasts a vibrant culinary scene, offering diverse dining experiences catering to locals and visitors. Advertising for restaurants in Portland can present unique opportunities and challenges, given the city’s discerning food enthusiasts and the need to attract a mix of residents and tourists. To succeed in restaurant advertising in Portland, it’s essential to craft campaigns that highlight your establishment’s location, menu offerings, promotions, pricing, and social media or review site recommendations. If you’re seeking to elevate your restaurant’s presence in the Portland area, AdvertiseMint’s experts are available to discuss tailored strategies. For reference, here is a list of some popular restaurants in the Portland area:
- Le Pigeon – Located in the heart of East Burnside, Le Pigeon entices with its French-inspired dishes and a frequently changing menu. Chef Gabriel Rucker’s innovative take on classic dishes has earned the restaurant national acclaim.
- Pok Pok – Chef Andy Ricker’s homage to Northern Thai cuisine, Pok Pok offers Portlanders authentic Thai dishes not commonly found elsewhere. The restaurant, with its flagship dish, the Ike’s Vietnamese Fish Sauce Wings, has grown from a humble start to multiple locations.
- Beast – This cozy and intimate restaurant offers a set six-course menu that changes weekly. Chef Naomi Pomeroy’s commitment to locally sourced ingredients and innovative dishes has landed Beast numerous accolades.
- Screen Door – Celebrating Southern cuisine, Screen Door is best known for its crispy buttermilk-battered fried chicken and delectable brunch offerings. The long queues outside this eatery testify to its popularity and the unforgettable dining experience it offers.
- Tusk – An ode to the flavors of the Middle East, Tusk sources its fresh ingredients from the Pacific Northwest. Their vegetable-driven dishes, curated by Chef Sam Smith, offer a blend of regional and international flavors, promising a unique dining journey.
- Pizzeria Otto – This Neapolitan pizzeria is known for its wood-fired pizzas and fresh ingredients. Their pizzas are made with imported Italian flour and San Marzano tomatoes, and they are cooked in a wood-fired oven for a crispy crust and smoky flavor.
- Nora Gray – This fine-dining restaurant offers a tasting menu that changes seasonally. The menu features modern takes on classic dishes, using locally sourced ingredients.
- Lardo – This charcuterie restaurant is known for its creative and delicious charcuterie boards. Their charcuterie boards feature a variety of cured meats, cheeses, and other accompaniments, such as pickled vegetables and fruits.
Top 10 things to do when you visit Portland?
In relation to Portland, a city celebrated for its eclectic mix of natural beauty and urban charm, tailoring advertisements to the vast swath of tourists is imperative for an array of enterprises, spanning sectors from events, sightseeing tours, lodging, transit, to gastronomy and beyond. Curating a pinpointed advertising game plan that appeals directly to those gracing a particular locale is of the essence. Numerous paid digital advertising platforms offer the sophisticated toolset to target visitors in a defined area who aren’t permanent residents. Such a tactic unveils lucrative avenues for local establishments aiming to capitalize on Portland’s perennial stream of visitors. If your ambitions lie in boosting your restaurant reservations, promoting sightseeing ventures, or amplifying transit-associated advertisements within Portland’s confines, we warmly encourage you to consult AdvertiseMint for comprehensive insights and direction. For a clearer perspective, here’s a glimpse of some top-tier attractions and endeavors awaiting you in Portland:
- Powell’s City of Books – As the world’s largest independent bookstore, Powell’s City of Books covers an entire block. It’s a haven for bibliophiles where you can get lost amidst stacks of new and used books.
- Portland Japanese Garden – Considered the most authentic Japanese garden outside of Japan, it’s a serene space designed for reflection and tranquility, offering beautiful views of Mount Hood.
- Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI) – With hands-on exhibits ranging from natural sciences to space exploration, OMSI is perfect for families and anyone interested in science and technology.
- Lan Su Chinese Garden – Located in the heart of the city, this garden offers a peaceful retreat and a glimpse into classical Chinese gardens, complete with beautiful plants, water features, and traditional architecture.
- Forest Park – Stretching over 5,000 acres, Forest Park offers miles of hiking trails, providing an escape from the city without leaving its limits.
- Portland Art Museum – It boasts a diverse collection of art, including Native American, European, Asian, and contemporary works, reflecting the rich cultural fabric of the region.
- Portland Saturday Marketz – Operating every weekend from March through December, it’s the largest continuously operating open-air arts and crafts market in the country.
- Pittock Mansion – Offering panoramic views of the city, this historic mansion tells the story of Portland’s transformation from a small lumber town to a bustling city.
- Voodoo Doughnut – A quirky donut shop known for its unique flavors and eclectic designs, it’s become an iconic stop for visitors and locals alike.
- Ride the Portland Aerial Tram – It provides breathtaking views of the city, mountains, and river. Starting in the South Waterfront district and ascending to Marquam Hill, the journey offers a unique perspective of Portland.
The list gives you a taste of Portland’s multifaceted allure. Whether it’s the thrill of roller coasters, nature’s serenity, or space’s magic, Portland promises something for everyone.
Popular social media accounts in Portland you need to follow.
Engaging socially can be a game-changer in creating meaningful connections. Paid social ads seamlessly weave your business into the content-rich tapestry that users are engrossed in. Here’s a compilation of prominent Portland-based social media handles that you’d want to keep tabs on to remain updated on all things Portland:
- Travel Portland – This is the official account for Portland’s tourism board. It offers breathtaking snapshots of the city, insights into local events, and highlights from Portland’s diverse culinary and arts scenes.
- Trail Blazers – The official account of Portland’s NBA team. For fans and sports enthusiasts, this account offers real-time updates, behind-the-scenes footage, and player highlights.
- Powell’s Books – Powell’s is an iconic independent bookstore in Portland. Their Instagram features book recommendations, store events, and showcases the love of reading.
- Eater PDX – A must-follow for foodies, this account provides updates on Portland’s vibrant dining scene, from food carts to fine dining establishments.
- Portland Gear – This account celebrates Portland pride through apparel. Their posts often feature iconic Portland scenes and the city’s unique culture.
Complete Portland neighborhood guide.
“Precision-targeting within Portland’s diverse neighborhoods can markedly enhance the efficacy of your advertising endeavors. From ultra-local digital avenues like Google ads, Yelp, and Nextdoor to classic channels such as local radio spots or direct mailers, the choice of neighborhood is instrumental. For comprehensive advertising guidance in the Portland realm, don’t hesitate to connect with AdvertisetiseMint. Here are some vital neighborhoods to consider when advertising in Portland:
- Downtown Portland Real Estate Advertising – The heart of the city, Downtown Portland is vibrant with high-rise buildings, shopping districts, and cultural centers. It’s the go-to spot for major events and offers a cosmopolitan atmosphere.
- Pearl District Real Estate Advertising – Once industrial, now an upscale, trendy enclave filled with art galleries, boutiques, and renovated lofts. The Pearl District is known for its blend of modernity and historic charm.
- Old Town Chinatown Real Estate Advertising – Steeped in history, this area has a mix of Chinese cultural sites and historic 19th-century buildings. It’s a hub for nightlife, with various bars, clubs, and the famous Voodoo Doughnut shop.
- Northwest Portland/Nob Hill Real Estate Advertising- An upscale residential area with Victorian homes and tree-lined streets, it’s also home to chic boutiques, restaurants, and the historic Northwest 23rd Avenue shopping district.
- Alberta Arts District Real Estate Advertising- Bursting with creativity, Alberta Arts District showcases colorful murals, local art galleries, and monthly street fairs. It epitomizes Portland’s quirky and artistic side.
- Mississippi/Williams Real Estate Advertising- Trendy and buzzing, these adjacent corridors are lined with unique shops, breweries, and music venues, making it a favorite spot for younger crowds.
- Southeast Division Real Estate Advertising- A foodie haven, this neighborhood is renowned for its diverse culinary offerings, from food carts to gourmet restaurants. It beautifully marries residential quietness with gastronomic vibrancy.
- Sellwood-Moreland Real Estate Advertising – A family-friendly area that feels like a step back in time, with antique shops, classic movie theaters, and quiet parks. The Oaks Amusement Park is a standout attraction.
- Hawthorne District Real Estate Advertising- Embodying Portland’s bohemian spirit, Hawthorne is filled with vintage stores, coffeehouses, and indie cinemas. It’s the city’s go-to for countercultural vibes.
- East Portland Real Estate Advertising- More suburban and spread out, East Portland hosts a diverse population and offers plenty of parks and open spaces. It’s a rapidly evolving area with growing amenities and attractions.
Complete guide to annual events in Portland.
“Promoting your event in the City of Roses demands a deep dive into Portland’s unique cultural rhythm and the hallmark events that define its annual cadence. Strategic timing can make all the difference in this eclectic events scene. Initiating your promotions from two to nine months in advance, contingent on the event’s scale and anticipated attendance, is pivotal for a significant impact. If you’re keen to grasp the intricacies of event marketing in Portland or to synergize with its local celebrations, Advertisemint is your go-to resource. Our adept advertising professionals are on standby, eager to steer you to success.
- Rose Festival – Late May to early June – Celebrating over a century of tradition, the Rose Festival includes parades, a carnival, and the crowning of the Rose Queen. It’s a beloved city-wide event that showcases Portland’s spirit.
- Feast Portland – September -A premiere food and drink festival that highlights the region’s culinary talent and artisanal ingredients, paired with fine wines and craft beers.
- Portland International Film Festival – February – The largest film event in Oregon, screening over 140 films from various countries, celebrating cinematic artistry and culture.
- Waterfront Blues – July 4th weekend – A multi-day celebration of blues music set against the backdrop of the Willamette River, also raising funds for local charities.
- Portland Book Festival – November – A gathering of over 100 authors, presenting readings, panels, and workshops. It’s a must-attend for literary enthusiasts.
- BrewFest in the Park – June – A celebration of organic craft beer, cider, and mead, promoting sustainable brewing practices.
- PDX Pop Now! – July – A grassroots music festival, highlighting Portland’s vibrant music scene, showcasing emerging and established local artists.
- Oregon Brewers Festival – Late July – One of the longest-running craft beer festivals in the US, featuring dozens of craft beers from across the country.
- Portland Queer Film Festival – October – Showcasing feature, documentary, and short queer films from various countries, promoting a spirit of inclusivity and diversity.
- Portland Saturday Market – Every Saturday (and Sundays too) from March to December 24th – While technically a weekly event, it’s an institution, running from spring to Christmas Eve. It features artisans, live music, and food vendors.
How to advertise a professional service business in Portland?
There are so many professional service providers in Portland that it can become crowded and difficult for many consumers to find your business. If you are a lawyer, doctor, dentist, contractor, accountant, or work in childcare, food services, event planning, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, roofing, HVAC, waste removal, or security services – then you need to be advertising your services. You must ensure you have local pages created on Google Local and Yelp and paid ads to ensure customers see your business first. You should also run paid search and social ads so individuals can visually see and experience your business’s services in Portland. If you need help advertising your service-based business in Portland, please contact Advertisemint and speak with one of our advertising experts.
Portland government advertising
Countless municipal and government departments often have highly specific advertising needs in the Portland area. If you are a Portland politician running for office or work in a Portland-based government division and need assistance with setting up marketing campaigns, advertising campaigns, or any creative elements like videos, photography, or graphic design, AdvertiseMint can help you build a strategy, accommodate any government regulations, place the media and report back on the KPIs required for success and return on investment. For reference, here are a few of the top government resources for Portland.
- City of Portland Official Website
- Portland Chamber of Commerce
- Portland Mayor’s Office
- Portland Office of Management & Finance
- Portland Police Bureau
- Portland Fire & Rescue
- Bureau of Development Services
- Portland Office of Community & Civic Life
- Water Bureau portland
- Portland Parks and Recreation
- Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT)
- Portland Bureau of Environmental Services
- Portland Office of Equity and Human Rights
What is the Best Portland Ad Agency?
We believe AdvertiseMint is the best Portland advertising agency. AdvertiseMint brings a full team of advertising experts, including account managers, media buyers, copywriters, and creative experts in video production, editing, photography, graphic design, and data analysis to ensure our metrics are met. We would love the opportunity to help grow your business.
Disclaimer: AdvertiseMint is an advertising agency that provides advertising and marketing services to businesses located in Portland, Oregon. The details provided on this page are for informational purposes and to help explain the services we provide for our clients. AdvertiseMint has no affiliation or exclusive partnerships with the city of Portland, tourist locations, government divisions, sports teams, educational institutions, annual events, restaurants, or other businesses mentioned on this page.