Do you want to reach people who are already familiar with your brand? If so, you need to use Facebook Connection Targeting. Facebook Connection Targeting is a way to target your ads to users who are connected to your Facebook Page or Instagram Profile. This can be a great way to reach people who are already interested in what you have to offer.
What is Connections Targeting?
Connections targeting is a way of streamlining your ad campaigns. While potentially narrowing the scope of who will see your ad, connections targeting maximizes that those who view it are more likely to generate conversions.
Ever since 2009 when Facebook rolled out the feature to be able to target friends of friends, connections targeting has been an invaluable marketing resource. Whether you’ve had the right words for it or not, you know what connection targeting is because you’ve seen it in action before. You know that little line under an event, page, or ad that says, “Your friends X, Y, and Z like this” or “Your friend X is a fan of this.” Yep, that’s it. That is one of the most obvious forms of connection targeting that works like magic.
Why? Because people trust their friends. This adds an extra layer of credibility and interest in your brand or product. This is an essential key part of a winning e-commerce strategy.
Lukas / Pexels
Who Can You Reach Through Connections Targeting on Facebook?
Through Facebook connections targetting, you can choose to tailor your ad to the following audiences:
- People who like your page/app/event/group
- Friends of people who like your page/app/event/group
- People or friends of people who don’t like your page/app/event/group
Want to implement all three or some sort of amalgamation? No sweat! There’s also an option to use an advanced combination for some assortment or combination of all the above that’s easy to navigate.
How Do You Use Connections Targeting on Facebook?
You have access to this sort of information through Ad Creator and Power Editor on Facebook. Log in through your admin account for your company’s page, event, app, or group and you should be able to see a drop-down list of who you want to target. All you then have to do is click according to the audience outreach strategy.
When Should You Use Connections Targeting?
- You want to build up your email list, or your audience in other words, because you’re going to be releasing a new product or campaign soon. Connections targeting builds a relationship between you and your potential lead built off of a genuine interest that is more likely to result in a successful conversion when the time comes.
- You want to grow a community of fans of your brand.
- You want to exclude people who’ve already shown interest so you don’t pay for an ad to reach someone you’ve already had a successful conversion with.
Afterward, prepare to see your audience, and consequently, your leads and conversions, grow.
Types of Connection Targeting
- Fans of Your Page: You can use this targeting option to connect with individuals who are followers of your Facebook Page. This is an ideal choice if you’re looking to engage with individuals who are already acquainted with your brand.
- Following: If you want to connect with people who are already following your Facebook Profile, this targeting option would be perfect for you. This strategy is effective if you want to engage with people who have shown interest in your products or services.
- Friends of fans: This targeting option allows you to reach people who are friends with your fans. This is a good option if you want to reach people who are likely to be interested in your brand.
- People who have interacted with your Page or Profile: This targeting feature enables you to connect with individuals who have previously engaged with your Page or Profile. It encompasses individuals who have liked, commented on, or shared your posts. This is an effective option to interact with individuals who are already engaged in your brand.
4 Tips for Effective Connection Targeting
1. Segment Your Connections
Don’t treat all your connections as one homogenous group. Segment them based on their level of engagement. For instance, create different ad sets for your most active fans and those with moderate interest. This allows you to deliver more tailored content to each group.
2. A/B Test Connection Types
For an improved experimentation experience, consider A/B testing different connection types within one campaign. This method will enable you to directly compare the effectiveness of various targeting approaches and adjust your strategy accordingly.
3. Combine Connection Targeting with Other Methods
Connection targeting is powerful but even more potent when combined with other targeting methods. Blend it with demographic targeting, interests, behaviors, and lookalike audiences to create a multi-dimensional approach that maximizes reach and relevance.
4. Customize Your Ad Creatives
Tailor your ad creatives to resonate with the specific connection type you’re targeting. For fans of your Page, you can use messaging that acknowledges their loyalty. For friends of fans, emphasize social recommendations and the positive experiences of their friends.
Facebook Connection Targeting allows businesses to build upon existing relationships, delivering tailored content to an audience that’s already interested.
By incorporating this strategy into your advertising efforts, you’re not just boosting engagement and conversions; you’re also cultivating a more meaningful connection between your brand and its audience.
What is Facebook Connection Targeting?
Facebook Connection Targeting is a feature that enables marketers to target specific audiences based on their existing interactions with your Facebook Page, events, app, or Instagram business profile.
How can I effectively use Facebook Connection Targeting in my campaigns?
To use Connection Targeting effectively, segment your audience, experiment with different connection types, customize ad creatives, and combine it with other targeting methods. Regular monitoring and optimization are also key to success.
What are the different types of connection targeting?
There are four types of Connection Targeting on Facebook:
- Friends of fans
- People who have interacted with your Page or Profile
Why is Connection Targeting important for advertisers?
Connection targeting is important because it enables marketers to create highly personalized and pertinent ad campaigns. You can significantly increase engagement and conversion rates by targeting users who already have a connection or interest in your brand.