Are you trying to choose between TikTok and Facebook ads?
TikTok and Facebook are among the biggest social media platforms today. They both have a large user base and global reach.
Hence, choosing the perfect option for your ad campaigns can be tricky so working with a professional TikTok ad agency would be a wise decision. This article will compare these social media titans to help you make the right decision.
Read on as we cover the following:
- What are TikTok and Facebook Ads?
- 5 Metrics to Compare
- Why Should You Consider TikTok Ads?
- Why Should You Consider Facebook Ads?
- Final Thoughts on TikTok Ads vs. Facebook Ads
- Frequently Asked Questions on TikTok Ads vs. Facebook Ads
Understanding TikTok Ads
What is TikTok?
TikTok is a vibrant social media platform that’s all about short-form videos. With its predominantly young user base, it’s become a hub for creative expression and entertainment.
Types of TikTok ads
TikTok offers various ad formats to advertisers.
- In-Feed ads appear in users’ feeds as they scroll, much like regular TikTok content.
- TopView ads: These are full-screen videos that play when users open the app.
- Brand takeover ads: These ads take over a user’s screen immediately after they open the app.
- Branded Hashtag Challenges: Brands create challenges to engage users in creating content around their products.
- Branded Effects and Filters: These let users apply branded effects to their videos, subtly promoting products.
- Spark ads: These special ads allow advertisers to combine original TikToks into ads.
Target audience and reach
TikTok skews towards a younger demographic. According to Statista, 70.9% of TikTokers are between 18 to 34 years old. This makes the platform ideal if your target audience includes Gen Z and millennials.
Benefits of TikTok ads
Here are some benefits of investing in TikTok ads:
- Youthful audience: Connect with the next generation of consumers.
- Creative freedom: Leverage trends and be innovative in your ad content.
- Potential virality: TikTok trends can lead to widespread brand visibility.
- Huge untapped audience: TikTok has a following in countries where Facebook and Instagram are less popular, which allows advertisers to reach an untapped audience.
- Better influencer marketing opportunities: Like Instagram, TikTok allows brands to work with influencers to achieve their marketing goals.
Disadvantages of TikTok Ads
Here are some disadvantages of TikTok ads:
- Video ads are necessary: Image ads don’t do well on TikTok. So, you will need to invest in videos.
- Expensive Ads: A minimum daily budget of $50 and $20 per ad group is required to run ads on TikTok.
Understanding Facebook Ads
When it comes to digital advertising behemoths, Facebook stands as a titan. Its vast user base and multifaceted ad formats offer a diverse playground for marketers. Picture this: a platform where you can showcase your products or services using images, videos, carousels, and more.
Types of Facebook ads
- Image and video ads: Simple yet effective, these ads allow you to visually engage your audience with compelling images or videos.
- Carousel ads: Got a range of products to flaunt? Carousel ads let users swipe through a series of images, each with its link, offering an interactive experience.
- Slideshow ads: Combining images and videos, slideshow ads are a dynamic way to tell your brand’s story quickly.
- Collection ads: Seamless shopping is the name of the game here. Collection ads permit users to browse through a selection of products without leaving the platform.
Target audience and reach on Facebook.
F.acebook’s edge lies in its granular targeting options. You can pinpoint your ideal customers, from age and location to interests and behaviors. This precision ensures that your ads reach the right eyes, maximizing their impact.
Benefits of Facebook ads
Facebook ads offer various benefits. They include:
- Diverse User Base: With billions of users, Facebook caters to a broad spectrum of age groups, giving your campaign widespread exposure.
- Advanced Targeting: The platform’s targeting capabilities enable you to define your audience with remarkable accuracy, enhancing the relevance of your ads.
- Robust Analytics: Facebook’s well-established ad platform provides detailed insights, allowing you to fine-tune your campaigns for optimal results.
- Unique analytics and tracking tools: Facebook has a lot of helpful tools that help track and measure how people use it, and these tools have been made better over time.
- Ad format flexibility: From static images to immersive videos, Facebook offers a range of ad formats, letting you choose the style that best suits your message and audience.
Disadvantages of Facebook ads
Here are some cons of investing in Facebook ads:
- Ad fatigue: Given the frequency at which users are exposed to ads on Facebook, there’s a risk of ad fatigue. Users might become indifferent or annoyed by repetitive advertisements, leading to a decline in engagement.
- Increasing Competition: With numerous businesses vying for user attention on Facebook, the platform’s popularity has driven up competition. This can increase costs per click (CPC) or impression (CPM).
5 Metrics to Compare
Knowing the key performance indicators (KPIs) is crucial when evaluating marketing channels like Facebook and TikTok ads. These metrics provide valuable information for marketers to assess if a channel is the right fit.
Take a look at the following five metrics to consider:
1.) Average click-through-rate
CTR, or click-through rate, measures the relationship between the number of impressions and clicks.
- TikTok’s click-through rate is 9% for in-feed ads.
- The click-through rate (CTR) on Facebook in all industries is 0.90%.
2.) Average return on advertisement spend
- The typical return on ad spend (ROAS) for TikTok ads is between $2.50 and $5. Using various ad types and formats can increase the ROAS on TikTok.
- In contrast, Facebook ads are generally less profitable than other social media marketing platforms.
3.) Average conversion rate
The average conversion rate compares clicks to conversions.
- The trustworthy data on the ACR of TikTok ads can be challenging. However, the average conversion rate of TikTok is around 3.4%.
- The ACR for Facebook ads is 9.21% across all industries.
4.) Cost per click
- The cost per click for TikTok ads varies depending on the ad format, with an average of $0.50 to $1.00.
- In comparison, Facebook ads usually cost $1.1 per click.
5.) Cost per mille
The cost charged by the channel for displaying 1,000 ad impressions is also known as CPM.
- TikTok has an average CPM of $10, which varies based on the ad format. On the other hand, TikTok Spark ads are cheaper, costing 4% less than other ad formats.
- Meanwhile, Facebook’s CPM is $9.8, depending on their audience and ad targeting options, ad format, and ad placement over the past year.
Choosing the Right Platform for Your Business
Picking the best advertising platform hinges on a few crucial factors. Let’s break them down:
- Target audience demographics: Begin by understanding your audience. TikTok attracts younger users, while Facebook boasts a diverse age range. Define your ideal customer’s age, interests, and behaviors to align with the platform’s user base.
- Advertising goals and objectives: Outline your campaign goals. If brand awareness and engagement are paramount, TikTok’s vibrant, trend-driven environment might suit you. On the other hand, Facebook’s sophisticated targeting options are excellent for lead generation and sales.
- Budget constraints: Assess your budget realistically. TikTok might offer a more budget-friendly entry, while Facebook’s larger user base might require more investment. Balance your financial resources with expected returns.
Final Thoughts on TikTok Ads vs Facebook Ads
TikTok and Facebook offer unique avenues for brands to engage their target audiences. The choice between the two ultimately hinges on understanding your goals, audience demographics, and budget constraints. By tailoring your approach to the strengths of each platform, you can harness their power to bring you closer to your target audience.
Frequently Asked Questions on TikTok Ads vs. Facebook Ads
Does TikTok have collection ads?
Yes, Collections Ads on TikTok is an in-feed video ad campaign that guides your customers to an Instant Gallery Page within the app. This allows them to browse items without having to exit the app.
Is it easier to create ads from TikTok compared to Facebook?
Ads on TikTok’s advertising platform are simple. You can use pre-existing videos or record new ones within the app.
Are Facebook ads still relevant in 2023?
Facebook advertising is still crucial for businesses. By marketing your ads on Facebook, you can showcase the best ad content of your brand to 2.95 billion people.