You don’t want to skip this post. YouTube recently announced that all content creators monetizing their channels can soon run non-skippable ads, resulting in video content with fewer ad skipping options. YouTube announced the change in a video by its Creator Insider channel.
Previously, only a select number of YouTube creators had access to the non-skippable ad option. Now, all content creators who earn money through their videos can also use the non-skippable ads.
According to the video announcement, YouTube is rolling out the non-skippable ad option to all video creators so they can earn more from ads. Advertisers already pay more for non-skippable ads because viewers will watch the ad from start to finish. As a result, video creators earn more money from the advertisers.
What are non-skippable ads?
Non-skippable ads are a type of video advertisement that viewers on platforms like YouTube are required to watch in its entirety before they can proceed to their intended content.
Unlike skippable ads that offer viewers the option to skip the advertisement after a few seconds, non-skippable ads do not provide this skip option. As a result, viewers must watch the entire duration of the non-skippable ad before gaining access to the video or content they originally sought to view.
What to Expect
According to Mashable, with this latest update, videos with skippable ads will automatically default to non-skippable. However, video creators can still manually change the setting back to skippable.
Although more non-skippable ads may be good news to advertisers (they no longer have to cram as much of their message into the first few seconds of the ads to have any impact), it may not be such a hit with YouTube viewers. If unwilling to watch the entirety of a non-skippable ad, viewers may leave the video, leading to a loss of revenue for the advertiser and the content creator. Nonetheless, YouTube advertising still offers many potential benefits, including
- Real-time insights about views
- The ability to show an ad before a viral video
- Creative freedom for a video ad
- Various ad format options
- The ability to identify purchase intent
- Increased ad exposure through social media sharing
- Various audience targeting options
All video creators should see non-skippable ads this week.
Advantages of Non-Skippable Ads for Advertisers
Non-skippable ads offer several advantages for advertisers targeting their potential audience and effectively conveying their message. Here are some key benefits of using non-skippable ads:
- Higher Viewer Engagement: With non-skippable ads, advertisers can ensure that viewers watch the entire ad without the option to skip. This increases the likelihood of viewers engaging with the content and absorbing the intended message.
- Message Retention: Non-skippable ads allow advertisers to deliver concise and impactful messages that viewers are more likely to remember. The full viewing experience enhances the retention of brand information, offers, or promotions.
- Strong Brand Awareness: By delivering a non-skippable ad, advertisers can create a stronger brand presence and recognition among viewers. The ad’s uninterrupted nature ensures the brand’s message is front and center throughout the entire ad.
- Compelling Storytelling: Non-skippable ads are an excellent platform for effective storytelling. Advertisers can use these ads to captivate viewers with a compelling narrative, helping to establish an emotional connection and resonate with the audience.
- Audience Targeting: Advertisers can strategically target non-skippable ads to specific demographics, interests, or behaviors. This targeted approach ensures that the ad reaches the most relevant and receptive audience, increasing the likelihood of a positive response.
- Product or Service Showcase: Non-skippable ads provide advertisers with an opportunity to showcase their products or services in a concise yet impactful manner. This format is ideal for introducing new offerings or highlighting key features.
Implementing Non-Skippable Ads: A Step-by-Step Guide
The process is relatively straightforward:
- Access YouTube Studio: Log in to your YouTube account and navigate to YouTube Studio.
- Select Monetization: Click on “Monetization” from the left-hand menu.
- Choose Non-Skippable Ads: Under the “Video elements” section, find “Ad formats.” Toggle the switch to enable non-skippable ads for your videos.
- Save Changes: Save your changes, and you’re all set!
Best Practices for Non-Skippable Ads
Crafting effective non-skippable ads requires a balance of creativity and precision. Here are some best practices to consider:
- Keep it Concise: Non-skippable ads are brief, so prioritize delivering your core message succinctly.
- Capture Attention Early: Grab viewers’ attention in the opening seconds to ensure they remain engaged throughout the ad.
- Deliver Value: Provide value to viewers, whether through entertainment, information, or a compelling offer.
- Optimize for Mobile: Many viewers access YouTube on mobile devices, so ensure your ad is optimized for a smaller screen.
- Strong Call to Action: Prompt viewers to take action, whether it’s visiting a website, subscribing, or making a purchase.
While the inclusion of non-skippable ads may raise concerns about viewer experience, creators and advertisers have the responsibility to strike a balance between delivering their message and respecting viewers’ time.
To mitigate any negative impact on user experience, it’s crucial to ensure that the content of non-skippable ads is engaging, relevant, and adds value to the viewer.
A New Chapter in YouTube Advertising
The expansion of non-skippable ads on YouTube marks an exciting evolution in the platform’s advertising. As more advertisers adopt this ad format, we expect to see a diverse range of impactful campaigns engaging viewers.
What are non-skippable ads on YouTube?
Non-skippable ads are video ads that cannot be skipped by viewers. They typically last for 6 or 15 seconds. Non-skippable ads are often used by businesses to launch new products or services, or to drive traffic to their websites.
Why are non-skippable ads becoming more common on YouTube?
There are a few reasons why non-skippable ads are becoming more common on YouTube. One reason is that they are more effective at getting viewers’ attention. Studies have shown that non-skippable ads are more likely to be remembered by viewers than skippable ads.
Another reason for the rise of non-skippable ads is that they are more profitable for advertisers. Advertisers pay more for non-skippable ads than they do for skippable ads. This is because non-skippable ads are more likely to be seen by viewers.
Who can use non-skippable ads on YouTube?
Anyone can now use non-skippable ads on YouTube, regardless of their budget. This is a major change from the way things used to be, when only large businesses could afford to use non-skippable ads.
How can I avoid non-skippable ads on YouTube?
There are a few ways to avoid non-skippable ads on YouTube. One way is to subscribe to YouTube Premium. YouTube Premium subscribers do not have to watch any ads.
Another way to avoid non-skippable ads is to use an ad blocker. Ad blockers are specially designed software programs that block ads from being displayed on websites and in apps.