September 21, 2017
There’s beauty in connections. Literally. According to a recent Facebook IQ study, two things that beauty shoppers in France, Germany, and the UK have in common are their high usage of mobile devices for their beauty shopping experiences and their high usage of social media to connect with other beauty shoppers, brands, and products.
Facebook says that over one-third of beauty shoppers consider their mobile device to be their most important shopping tool because not only do selfies take beauty to a whole new level, but also everyone these days carries a mobile device and uses it for their online shopping experiences. Additionally, beauty gurus are drawn to visuals, and beauty product visuals are more prominent on mobile devices.
Unsurprisingly, 35 percent of beauty shoppers across France, Germany, and the UK have increased their use of social media for their online shopping and research compared to last year. In addition to using social media to follow beauty brands, beauty shoppers use social media to read product reviews, discover new beauty techniques, and find new products.
What the Beauty Shoppers Want
Interestingly, Facebook’s study found that beauty shoppers in France, Germany, and the UK express identifiable desires and activity when it comes to beauty. Here’s what the network discovered.
- French women believe beauty shopping is “all about the experience.” They shop for the sake of shopping, and they enjoy the connections they can make through beauty.
- A popular Instagram hashtag amongst French beauty shoppers is #skincare. They like a natural look when it comes to their beauty product preferences.
- French women aged 55 to 64 post about beauty the most. This is the age range to target in France.
- Conversations about beauty on Facebook typically mention natural ingredients used in cosmetics. Advertising campaigns directed toward beauty shoppers in France should highlight the natural ingredients used in their beauty products.
- Beauty shoppers in Germany want beauty that is functional. For example, concealer and foundation are common terms used by German beauty shoppers on Instagram who use the beauty hashtag. Products that promote wellness and benefit the individual in some way are top priority for beauty shoppers in Germany.
- German women typically create a beauty post on Facebook before lunchtime. From an advertising perspective, this is the ideal time to launch a beauty campaign.
- Conversations about beauty on Facebook are most popular in the German cities of Flensburg, Oberhausen, and Herne. These cities are the prime demographics for audience targeting by beauty brands.
- German women in the age range of 25 to 34 post about beauty the most. This age demographic should be a priority for beauty campaign audience targeting in Germany.
- Beauty shoppers in the UK buy beauty products to feel good. Advertising campaigns for beauty products directed at UK audiences should highlight the ways their beauty products make their consumers feel special about the way they look.
- UK women on Instagram are more likely to use #beautyblogger and #bblogger hashtags. This means that UK women like to follow beauty bloggers to learn about beauty products and techniques to make informed purchases.
- Conversations about beauty on Facebook are most popular in the UK locations of Telford, Stoke-on-Trent, and Newport. These UK areas are the prime demographics for audience targeting by beauty brands.
- UK women in the age range of 25 to 34 post about beauty the most. This age demographic should be a priority for beauty campaign audience targeting in the UK.
- Common beauty terms or phrases used by UK Facebook users include animal testing in China, plastic particle water pollution, and the microbead ban. Facebook recommends that beauty advertisers focusing on a UK audience should promote themselves as a socially conscious brand.
In addition to using stunning photos and engaging video to promote your beauty brand, advertisers should make the most out of Instagram Stories, Creative Hub, and Facebook Messenger to give shoppers the best mobile beauty experience.