Canvas ads don’t just sell—they take you to an immersive, interactive experience.
Unlike single image ads or creating carousel ads on Facebook, Canvas ads unfold to full-screen on your mobile phone once clicked. Once you’re in the world of Facebook Canvas ads, you can swipe up, down, left or right or zoom in and out to follow the ad’s narrative. Each of the ad’s creative, whether it be an image or a video or a combination of both, can, if desired, include links to your landing page, call-to-action buttons, and headlines. With a Canvas ad you can:
- Link multiple canvases for a microsite-like effect
- Include a call-to-action button
- Choose a combination of capabilities to better tell your story
- Sequence your story or canvases to drive customers through your marketing funnel
- Remarket to high-interest customers who opened your Canvas
If you want to create a Canvas ad, make sure to use one of the following Facebook advertising objectives:
- Website Clicks
- Website Conversions
- Mobile App Installs
- Mobile App Engagement
- Video Views
- Brand Awareness
- Page Post Engagement
And, as always, follow Facebook’s ad specs.
It’s possible that you haven’t seen a Canvas ad on your news feed before—it’s not hard to imagine why. Unlike your regular Single Image, Video, Slideshow, and Carousel ads, Canvas ads are more complex and more expensive to create. Businesses’ apprehension of creating Canvas ads likely explains its absence on Facebook. However, that does not indicate that Canvas ads are ineffective ads. In fact, many bigger companies such as Coca Cola, Lowe’s and ASUS used Canvas ads with success.
Table of Contents
How to create a Facebook Canvas Ad?
To create a Facebook Canvas Ad, you have to create a Facebook Page and a Facebook Ads account. Once you have these, you can follow these steps:
- Go to your Facebook Ads Manager and click on the “Create” button.
- Select “Canvas Ad” from the menu.
- Enter the details of your ad, such as the title, the image, and the call to action.
- Preview your ad and ensure it looks how you want it to.
- Publish your ad and start targeting the audience.
Key Components of a Canvas Ad.
let’s break it down into its key components:
- Header: This is the first thing users see when they open a Canvas Ad. It typically includes the brand’s logo and a compelling headline to grab attention.
- Images and Videos: Canvas Ads allow you to incorporate a mix of images and videos. These visuals can be used to tell a story, showcase products, or provide an immersive experience.
- Text Blocks: Text blocks can be added to provide context, elaborate on the story, or offer additional information. Keep in mind that brevity is key to maintaining engagement.
- Buttons: Calls-to-action (CTAs) in the form of buttons enable potential customers to take specific actions, such as “Shop Now” or “Learn More,” directing them to the next step in the customer journey.
4 Best Practices to Create Canvas Ads.
1. Tell a Captivating Story.
Engage your audience by weaving a narrative that resonates with your brand or product. A compelling story can make your Canvas Ad more memorable and impactful.
2. High-quality Visuals are Essential.
Invest in visually stunning images and videos. Ensure they are not only eye-catching but also relevant to your message. High-resolution visuals leave a lasting impression.
3. Use a Fullscreen Experience.
Facebook Canvas Ads are fullscreen ads, so make sure you use the space wisely. Use high-quality images and videos, and keep your text concise.
4. Consider a Sequential Story.
Use the “Carousel” format within Canvas Ads to tell a sequential story. Each card can reveal a new part of your narrative, guiding users through a compelling journey.
How Users Interact with Canvas Ads?
The user experience with Canvas Ads is designed to be intuitive and enjoyable. Users can swipe, tilt, and tap to explore the content at their own pace. This interactive element sets Canvas Ads apart from static advertisements and encourages users to engage with your brand more meaningfully.
Real-Life Success Stories
Samsung used Canvas Ads to showcase the features of their new Galaxy S7 Edge, providing an immersive and informative experience that drove engagement and product awareness.
Taco Bell used Canvas Ads to introduce their Quesalupa product, resulting in a 6-point lift in brand favorability and a 4-point lift in purchase intent among those who viewed the ad.
Facebook Canvas Ads have revolutionized digital advertising by offering an immersive and engaging platform for brands to connect with their audience. With captivating visuals, interactive elements, and a mobile-friendly design, Canvas Ads enable marketers to tell compelling stories and drive meaningful actions.
If you want an ad that’s immersive, visual, and fast, then canvas ads are the ads for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Facebook Canvas Ad?
A Facebook Canvas Ad is a full-screen ad that can be used to tell a story, showcase products, or drive conversions. They are typically more engaging than traditional Facebook ads and can be a great way to reach your target audience.
Who can use Facebook Canvas Ads?
Facebook Canvas Ads can be used by any business or organization with a Facebook Page. This advertisement format is an effective tool to reach out to an audience that is already interested in your business or organization.
How do Facebook Canvas Ads work?
When a user clicks on a Facebook Canvas Ad, they will be directed to a captivating and interactive full-screen experience. The ad may contain images, videos, text, and buttons. The user can engage with the ad by clicking on buttons, scrolling through images, or viewing videos.
How much does it cost to run a Facebook Canvas Ad?
You will be charged only for the clicks on your ad. The cost per click (CPC) may differ based on your industry, target audience, and other relevant factors.
Still not sure whether you want to use Facebook for your digital advertising? Read up on Google ads vs. Facebook ads to get a good comparison of the pros and cons between paid social and social media ad platforms.